Monday, March 3, 2014

The Visitor

So I was watching some Netflix during my lunch break today, as I do most days, and was hit pretty deeply by what I was watching. It was an episode of Star Trek:DS9 (yeah, yeah, yeah - I can be a bit of a geek, lol) called 'The Visitor' and it was, to me, one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. Maybe it just hit the right emotional cords at the right time in my life, but I couldn't help but write about it.

Ignoring all of the scientific technobabble, it boils down to a story of a boy who has lost his father. Jake loses his dad in a freak accident, but his dad isn't truly dead, just lost in time, never aging. His father keeps appearing to him, but the time between each visit keeps growing farther and farther apart. Jake spends his whole life finding a way to save him. In the end, as an old man, he does find a way, and it's a great, sad story, but that isn't the point of why I'm writing. Watching the episode made me think of two things.

First, as Christians, is why we don't spend that kind of energy and effort in trying to reach those that we care about. If you go back to the title of the episode, The Visitor, it reminds me of how we are only supposed to be visitors in this world. This is not our home. But we should be trying to make a difference in it while we are here. We shouldn't be letting our lives pass by without trying to spread the news that we believe in.

Second, it reminded me of the love that God has for us. He sacrificed his own son so that we could spend eternity with Him. He loves us more than I can even imagine. I don't know about you, but I have a pretty thick head regarding some things. Growing up in the church, I have heard this simple truth more times than I could count. But hearing it and actually believing it down to the depths of your soul are different. One day when I was at the lowest point I could imagine, the true value of what God had done sank in. And to this day, even when I'm feeling down, I can think back to that moment and a smile comes to my face. I know God, the creator and sustainer of this universe, loves me, even when I don't love myself.

I know that I tend to ramble sometimes, but I hope that this encourages someone. If you ever have a doubt, know that God loves you, even if you don't know how he could get past your sins. His love isn't like ours, and it's unfathomable - but that's a good thing. And if you want to go watch some geeky TV with a surprisingly good story, go watch the episode I mentioned and try not to cry.

Love in Christ,
Chip

1 comment: